Are these silkies crossed?

Firewithin

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
I have a group of 15 babies, all sold to me as silkies but two of my babies make me wonder if they were crossed with a different breed. The crest on these two are not like everyone else... The top of the comb is ribbed unlike my other 13 babies. Opinions? Or is this normal for pure bred silkies? The ages of my flock range from 3 weeks to 7 weeks.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Last edited:
Did they come from a breeder or were they hatchery chicks, do you know? To me they look like they could be hatchery quality silkies, and hatcheries don't pay much attention to breed standards. I picked a few silkies up this year at TSC to use as broodies and one has a single comb like yours.

They came from a breeder and the parents all looked like silkies...but she had so many babies and I wasn't able to see the full flock.. Her property was literally under water from severe rain flooding when we got them.

Well, sounds like someone must have jumped their pen then and you have mixes; if she is a breeder she wouldn't have single combed silkies :)

Well darn :( i hope most are pure bred... Are they still too young to sex? Here's a group of three I'm hesitant to call 'buff.' This includes chick 1 from the top post.

No, definitely not buff. Those are white silkies. I'm really starting to think these are hatchery silkies - either the breeder really got them at a feed store or from a hatchery, or their original stock came from a hatchery. How is the toe spacing? They just look an awful lot like the ones I bought at Tractor Supply this year.

Back
Top Bottom