Are these Silkies pet, breeding, or show quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vnctan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Vnctan

Vnctan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Bangor,CA 95914
    I am looking for breeding/show quality Silkies to start my breeding progam with and I was wondering what you BYC'ers thought of this black Silkie hen and splash roo. Are they pet, breeding, or show quality?

The roo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hen

[​IMG]

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Well its hard to tell with the hens but they look pet quality to me. Their crests are to small for my liking but it may be because the roo plucked the feathers while breeding. The roosters crests looks a little too small too. In the first picture, the roo looks like it has split wing or something. It may just be the way he is standing. I also see a few hard feathers in the tail.

That is just my opinion though. Im still really new to silkies and I am just getting into them.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Definately Pet Quality!

4. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    I agree. They are definitely adorable, but the rooster has hard feathers in his tail, the hens and rooster have crests that look too small, his comb needs some work, and there isn't good enough foot feathering in my opinion(though this could be due to the type of ground they live on) Does the rooster have turquoise earlobes or plum colored? While this will not redeem him for his faults, it is good for him to have blue earlobes. I also think that his wattles are a good size, though this may be because he's young. I think with strict breeding and careful observation, you could use him to create some good silkies, but this would require generations of work. I think it would be much easier to get different birds. Good luck!

5. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Very cute, but pt quality. Enjoy then though, they will make some rather cute chicks if you let them.

6. Vnctan

Apr 4, 2010
    Bangor,CA 95914
    Everyone thank you so much for your input. I definitely won't be buying birds from her then, she told me these were breeding quality at least.

7. Vnctan

Apr 4, 2010
    Bangor,CA 95914
  8. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    The parent birds look nice. Red is a rare color. I would buy the $16 + up chicks in the colors you want to raise. Buy the best she has & you should do well. That is, if she is good at evaluating her chicks. Good luck. [​IMG]

9. Vnctan

Apr 4, 2010
    Bangor,CA 95914
    That's what I thought. I'm lucky because she's not that far away and she has show quality birds in all the breeds that I would like to raise.

10. Vnctan

Apr 4, 2010
    Bangor,CA 95914

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by