Are these silkies?

mangobingo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
Hawaii
Hi,

I've been thinking about getting some silkie chickens and I found some on Craigslist yesterday. The seller sent me this picture - do you think these are actually silkies? They don't look much like the ones I've seen online, but maybe this is just how they look when they're not groomed regularly, or something?

I'm not set on having show-grade birds or anything but I do want healthy birds. And these are more expensive than usual, so obviously I don't want to get ripped off...

Thanks!

web.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I thought...I know poorer Silkies tend to have lighter skin, but this makes me think they're not pure?

OH, and those are roosters, by the way. If you were going for hens, THAT would have been a rip-off. That said, I wouldn't honestly pay anything for them at all.

Edited again...I see a hen in the back and she looks pure-bred.
lol.png

Last edited:
They look like a lot of mixed Silkies.... and a lot look like roos. I wouldn't pay a lot for them..., not that they aren't nice birds... but they shouldn't try and pass them off as true Silkies and expect you to pay a lot for them. .... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
big_smile.png
I have a bunch of roos that I'd give away to good homes.....
wink.png

Last edited:
yep, bright red combs is a no no on silkies reguardless of quality, walnut black combs, see some look like single combs. None look true to a color except maybe that 1 splash pullet in the back ground. Some look to only have 3 toes, they need 5.
$5 tops on any of them as these will just be yard birds, not good for any kind of breeding, period, as they aret pure by any means.
Also see tons of hard feathers, (real feathers, not silkie fuzz) This also is a mix breed indicator. Some are to be expected here and there in lower quality birds, but not that much.

I'd pass for sure, there are much better ones available at decent prices, and are at least pure to the breed.

Back
Top Bottom