Are these Specked Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinagirl58, Apr 19, 2011.

1. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I bought these chickies last week. They are supposed to be Specked Sussex but I have my doubts. What do you think? Pure....or mixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The chick with the darker wings on that last photo in the middle looks just like my SS girl. [​IMG]. I would say yes. You at least have one pure breed one. Not sure about the others. Mine is only 3 weeks old.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I would say yes, white legs

4. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    So the variation in color is OK? Some are so much lighter than the ones I have seen pictures of. I like them....but I really do want pure SS.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I really do think they are all pure SS. The markings on their beaks and eyes are like my SS. I would imagine they would vary in color a little bit. Cute chicks btw. [​IMG]

6. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    Yeah, Cindy, they are pretty. I got the 4 babies that are less than week old. I guess you got over to jack before I could, I wanted those older ones. BUT I was looking for a rooster, so i'm hoping that at least 1 in that batch of 4 is a roo. But I know what you're asking about.

2 of the 4 I got are a lighter brown color than the other 2.

7. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Maybe we can do some swapping if too many of these turn out to be roos. Also I know a guy who has some eggs in his incubator right now. He may end up with too many roos too. I just don't know anything about how these chicks are supposed to look, so I guess time will tell. Jack had the parents there, but I know he told me he had some speckled/light crosses too and I didn't think to ask him if these were the pure ones or the crossed ones.

8. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    That sounds like a plan to me! [​IMG] Where is this guy with the eggs located??

9. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I hatch out speckled sussex every 3ish weeks and those look just like mine. I hatch from the same birds and sometimes they are lighter than other times, they all look the same in the end [​IMG].

10. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:He's in Ridgeway I think. I am getting some SS pullets from Nadine next week too. So I'll have SS from 3 different sources. That should work!

Thanks Obsession...that's good to know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by