Are these Spitzhaubens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rebel-rousing-at-night, Aug 7, 2011.

1. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I got a rare breed assortment from Cackle.

I've had so much fun trying to ID breeds by what was available on their rare breed page at the time they arrived.

I thought the pretty little silvery chicks were Silver Spangled Hamburgs until I was making pics the other night. At first I just thought that's a weird way for the feathers to come in on the head as the head feathers didn't look odd when the chicks came.

I think these are Spitzs instead. Am I right about this? What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    looks like it! if the feathers are just coming in wrong, then spangled hamburgs are the correct guess :eek:)

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, they look like Spitzhauben, the giveaway is the nose holes, I have a few, also from Cackle.

4. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:Yeah, the cavernous nostrils are so very unlike Hamburgs.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee you have a cute pair of spitz's! Too young for gender. Better buy a ladder, they love trees!

6. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    This is one of my baby Spitzhauben. I think this is a female though I don't know how to tell until one (or more) crows! They are the prettiest of breeds when they grown. I had them for three years, then a predator got into them. I was devastated. So I also ordered some from a hatchery. They are very active and mostly don't like to be held. But they are such beautiful birds. Mine never set on eggs, so I ordered some Silkies with them so that they could grow up together and sit on their eggs.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/kfielding_photos/Chickens/P7220003.jpg

Yours looks much like mine, so I'd say they were Spitz.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  7. kokeff

kokeff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Agree. Look like it to me! With their very dark eyes and their noses...look like Spitzs! I have a male and female (male is my avatar!) You will love them. Very friendly and sweet. Will sit in your lap (once again, my avatar!). Do like to get as high as they can in their coop. Our hen house is inside of a 10' tall enclosed cage and instead of roosting inside the hen house where its nice and warm and a roost bar...they fly to the top of the coop and sleep there all night. Crazy birds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by