1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these the breeds I think they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by malkered, Jan 17, 2016.

1. malkered

malkered Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first pic is Terry from what was sold to me as a Buff Leghorn hatching egg.

The second pic shows Matt to the rear. What is he?

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    First pic looks like a red leghorn to me. Second one I have no idea, maybe a mix.

3. malkered

I think you're right. I was going by the description of the guy that sold me the eggs, mind you he wasn't the most honest and reputable of characters so I guess I'm lucky the eggs didn't hatch a snake or two :D. Still, I'm lucky that out of the 18 eggs I bought from him to end up with this handsome fella and two Hamburgs.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The first photo of red white egg layer (Red Leghorn sounds good) is a cockerel too. So you've two cockerels, lower photo of mixed bird with funky comb is also cockerel.

5. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    The one in the second picture has a feather coloring like a red sexlink cockerel. I hear Silver-laced Wyandottes are sometimes used in this cross, so if he has a rose comb, that would explain it.

[​IMG]

6. malkered

Thank you.

Yeah, they are both boys and crowing like good 'uns

Having googled a pic of a Red Leghorn I feel a bit daft calling him a Buff :/

I'd love to know more about Matt's origins though. Is a rose comb when it's like a cap on the head rather than a stand up comb?

7. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Does his comb look like this?

[​IMG]

8. malkered

Much smaller but essentially yes.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We need a better pic of Matt. does he have a small crest? And I think I'm seeing faint barring in the hackle and saddle feathers, but not positive. makes me wonder if there could be CCL in the woodpile.

10. malkered

CCL?

I try for a better pic.

Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by