1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these the early signs of an egg bound hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 9, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    She was in the nesting box last night. I thought nothing of it, sometimes my hens just decide to sleep in the nesting box. But then late this morning she went in there again and has been in there all day. She's not straining, just standing there with her wings out and panting. Are these early signs of egg bound?

If it is what do I do to treat her?

Oh, and she is about a year and seven months old.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Could she be going broody?

3. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    No I don't think so.
    She's standing and acting completely normal otherwise. I did take her out of the nesting box to see how she was walking and she was waddling a fair bit. But even at night she was still panting and holding her wings out.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm really not sure.. It could be.. You could give her a warm bath to be on the safe side. Won't hurt anything... Sounds like she is straining..

5. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    She is not pushing. Just sitting or standing with her wings out and panting heavily.
    Do I just give her a warm bath? With just water? Could I oil her vent to help the egg come out?

6. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I gave her a bath yesterday. She's still on the nest. Her backside is still pulsing, like it does when a chicken is sitting on a nest getting ready to push out the egg.
    She poo'd after the bath too so the eggs not blocking anything. This is the third day of her being in the nest.

What other treatment are there?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    are you sure she's not just too hot? my girls act like that in summer time when the weather is hot

8. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    But she's in the nest constantly.

If these aren't egg bound symptoms then I'm going to have to start looking at other possibilities.

9. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your hen? My hen is behaving the same way right now.

10. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    She ended up being broody.
    She was just a REALLY bad broody. She didn't sit on the nest instead she just stood there and she kept getting on and off.
    So I just left her and she quitted herself after about a week.
    Good luck with your hen and keep a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by