1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these things all normal - First time with Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsgibber, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I have six 4 week old chicks in my makeshift brooder. I am super nervous that they are sick, will get sick, etc. I just went through a real bad time with my first chickens a couple weeks ago that I had to return. Anyway, here are some of the things I'm noticing:

1. They sneeze occasionally (they are in my basement and it is definitely dusty, plus I just changed their bedding last night)

2. They are cleaning themselves a lot, preening their feathers.

3. They seem to nap on and off during the day.

4. I've seen them yawn a few times.

They are pretty active when I go down there most of the time...they are usually eating. They are drinking plenty of water and seemed to like the yogurt I let them try this morning. They are also learned how to roost on the branch I put in there. I also have a small box with pine shavings and some soil from outside that they like to jump in and peck at.

Should I be giving them some kind of vitamin supplement in addition to the medicated chick feed they are on? Are orange wedges safe for them to eat?

Sorry so much in this post. I'm just a very nervous mama.

Thanks!

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I think all those things you listed are normal...sounds just like my chicks.

I don't think the oranges are a good idea. If I remember correctly, the treat chart says no citrus.

I put some vitamin/electrolyte powder in my very young chicks water for about a week...but it's not absolutely necessary. Now I add Raw Natural Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) to the drinking water, 1 tablespoon per gallon. It has many health benefits, and helps to control bacteria in the water.

3. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:Phew, glad to hear it.

Where do I get unfiltered apple cider vinegar...regular grocery store?

I have a small waterer, I wonder if just a 1/4 teaspoon is enough.

4. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Bump

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Break it down.

2 pints = 1 quart.
    4 quarts = 1 gallon.

So for a one quart waterer, 1/4 tsp. would suffice.

It's not going to hurt them if you put a little more in there than what was stated, it's all natural, so the only thing it might do is make the water taste a bit off.

And feeding citrus isn't a good idea. The rest sounds normal, though. I'd keep an eye out on the sneezing, make sure there's no gunky eyes or discharge from the nostrils.

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I get mine at the health food store (Whole Foods). I put a tablespoon per gallon, so just about a teaspoon per quart should do.......

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

You can check your regular grocery store, they might have it. My Wal-mart only has the clear pasteurized kind, so I went to HEB and found it (another grocery store). The unfiltered kind will look cloudy. Mine is Bragg, but there are other brands too.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    You had a really bad time with your first experience, so it is natural for you to be very nervous...all those things sound like perfectly normal chick things. If they are sick, you will know it. The one thing to keep an eye out for is coccidiosis, even though you are using medicated starter. You might want to get some sulmet to have on hand just in case. Check out the treat list on the top of the Feed and Water)?) forum, it is very helpful, and enjoy your chicks!

9. rmchicks

rmchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    There is a list of foods on this website not to feed chickens and citrus is on there. What a surprise to me. Also what does vinegar (with the mother in it mean)? thanks in advance.

10. mrsgibber

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Quote:Ya, I'm a mess worrying over these guys. They are totally fine though and so much fun to watch. They sure do poop a lot so I'm picking poop out twice a day to keep it clean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by