Are these those fancy blue/green egg laying chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunnySoleil, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SunnySoleil

SunnySoleil Out Of The Brooder

I don't know if I can put an image as I'm a new member so I uploaded one and hope it will show up..
    I got these two in xchange for deer jerky!
    The boy told me they were A... a something.. and his grandmother said they will lay green/blue eggs.. but they aren't old enough yet.
    I've looked at the pics on the main site, but can't tell..

Well I'm not allowed to post an image yet... so maybe someone can tell from my profile pic

Sunny

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Sunny check the breed section for Ameracauna. Maybe that is what you have. Do they have puffy cheeks? Oh yeah Welcome!

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    you could up load to photo bucket and put link on here.

4. SunnySoleil

Thank you kind folks.. but I am not allowed to post a picture, yet.. as I'm new.. however, I did create a blog.. on my page on this site, and put the picture in there.. maybe if some kind person could paste that in a browser and find it...or go to my profile or my blog which is here, but I've had to make it not look like a link..... I was told the name was A.... a something and grandma of the boy who gave them tome and has grown up with chickens told me they lay those fancy eggs, but not sure where her info came from!!! .backyardchickens.com SLASH web SHASH viewblog.php?id=77462

Thanks so much

Sunny Soleil

Feed the Future- The blog
    Wellness v pharma, free energy v oil, own grown v processed food, community v nuclear, natural building v concrete, consciousness v asleep Info on what's going on and alternative and natural technologies for a simpler life

5. SunnySoleil

Hey, usually I'm pretty literate.. but chickens have flummoxed me.

If you click 'my page' on the side of my forum identifier... name etc.. you can see a pic of these chickens.
    I do appreciate anyone who can help... I am a great contributor to forums and here I am a total newbie, knowing only that chickens lay eggs and not much more!!!

6. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Without a picture, it could be a couple different things. Most likely you were told Ameraucana, could have been Araucana but probably not. If your birds have fluffy faces and greenish legs they are going to fit in the category Easter Egger. This is a general term for a chicken that carries the blue egg laying gene but does not fit any breed standard, they are a mix, and not a breed themselves. They have a set of characteristics that they usually adhere to (such as muffs, beards, green legs, and lay anything from blue to green to pink or even brown occasionally) but not always. True Ameraucanas fit a very specific list of characteristics, only come in a few recognized colors (versus a side variety for EEs), never have green legs (always black or pink if it's a white bird I think), I believe they always have muffs/beards, and only lay blue eggs. There is a lot of confusion regarding this breed as hatcheries call their EEs Amers erroneously. To get a true Amer, it must come from a breeder. There is a thread in the breed section about EE/Amer that should help. Actually, there are probably a few...

7. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, you posted while I was typing. Just looked at your picture and disregard everything I just said. Those are not EEs or Ameraucanas or Araucanas. They look like some sort of silky cross at least the hen does. If she does lay a blue/green egg I would be surprised. How big are they? They almost look like a bantam cross, bantam is a miniature chicken, there are tons of breeds that are bantams as well as bantam versions of large fowl breeds.

As for the rooster, I don't have a clue besides a mix. He's got a single comb and yellow skin with some feathering on his feet but not enough to look like a full breed. The hen could just be a smooth feathered silky but more likely a silky cross. They usually lay a white or cream colored egg.

Oh, [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I am not sure what the rooster on the left is but the one on the right looks to be a sillkie cross. I don't think think you will be seeing any blue/green eggs.

9. SunnySoleil

Oh my OK... I'm not too bothered, but liked the sound of green eggs... and who cares as long as they lay and they taste good!! Thank you ALL SO MUCH for your contributions...Silky cross eh... mutt.. just like our dog! Well, mutts in all animal types are meant to be stronger..!!!

ANOTHER QUESTION....while I'm here and I'll revert to the main forum after this...but we want more chickens in the spring and wondering

Is there any other kind of chicken, that is a good layer and dosn't mind confinement [we must keep them in a coop until we are ok with putting them outside] and that breeds easily and will not murder the silky crosses or whatever these two chickens are? [​IMG]

Any suggestions welcome We have a feed and seed shop in town that sells them and neighbors have hundreds of chickens.. but they reckon these would get knocked off by the larger hens???

Thanks again...
    big smiles
    sunny

Sunny Soleil

Feed the Future- The blog
    Wellness v pharma, free energy v oil, own grown v processed food, community v nuclear, natural building v concrete, consciousness v asleep Info on what's going on and alternative and natural technologies for a simpler life

10. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    First, just since I'm not sure if you caught it (based on your last reply), I believe the other two posters are correct that you won't get ANY eggs from the chicken on the left. Based on the picture, it appears to be a rooster. [​IMG] If your hen lays like a silkie, then I would say to expect a small egg a few times a week (mine lays about every other day, but she did two in a row this week).

As far as getting more chickens, you should be able to add others to the two you have. Just introduce them carefully when they are about the same size (assuming you do chicks). I have 9 standard sized chickens and 3 silkies and they all coexist just fine. And I plan on adding 6 more standard sized birds this spring.

I would recommend getting chicks or started pullets from a hatchery. Or at least learn enough about breeds to know what you want, then go looking for them. That way, you can feel confident that you will get chickens that will lay well for you. You can also have them sexed at the hatcheries to greatly reduce the chances of getting another rooster.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by