1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these true Ameraucana chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by srpaint, Feb 23, 2012.

1. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What color variety did the seller say they had? Most folks who are breeding true Ameraucanas are going to know if they have silver duckwing, brown red, black, blue, wheaten, blue wheaten, etc. If the seller can't answer the question as to what variety they have, I would seriously question whether or not they are true Ameraucanas. You can also ask where the parent stock came from. If the seller tells you they came from a hatchery, then more likely than not the chickens in question are EEs.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They don't look like it to me. Check out the Ameraucana breeders club website. They have pictures of all of the varieties as chicks and adults

4. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Thanks or the advice!

I am thinking they are EEs. They person keeps saying they are true ameraucana but I don't think so. Ask for pictures of the parents and was told they where recently butchered. Guess that should be a red flag right there. Asked where they came from and did not get an answer.

I think I will pass on them.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, sounds fishy to me.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Good call on passing. Those are EE chicks. It's always a red flag when a breeder isn't willing to share pics, or give you more info.

Real breeders are more than ready to crow (heh) about their hard work put into the blood-lines.

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    That does sound fishy. :/ why would you butcher ALL of your parent stock if you have purebreds??
    He might have gotten them from a hatchery and trying to resell them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    new to this, but what is the difference between hatchery ameraucana and a breeder ameraucana? dont they get them from the same place?

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop

Hatcheries don't have ameraucanas, they have Easter eggers. I think one of the hatcheries descibe theirs as birds with some ameraucana/araucana blood. But they stil call them Ameraucanas. Hatcheries don't breed to standard, they breed for chick/eggs. They birds often look similair to what breed they are caling them, but they have been breed for production, eat less and lay eggs sooner and faster. Breeders should breed to the standard, and cull out any that don't meet it, like not having the right color eyes, legs, the right comb, etc.
    Basicly, most breeders breeds for quality and hatcheries breed for quantity. Hatcheries usually start out with good breeding birds, and them mix in their own high producing birds. Breeders don't usually get stock from hatcheries, they buy from other breeders/showers.

10. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    very interesting....i saw this video on youtube this morning called from farm to fridge and they were talking about the cruel things hatcheries do. and i always try to live my life as cruelty free as possible. which is why i want my own happy chickens so i can eat eggs and have a clear conscious. anyhow....now im upset about where my chicks are coming from. im getting them from a local woman who does hatch some on her own, but im sure gets some from hatcheries. i just dont know what to do. it was def an eye opener watching them dump bins full of chicks out like trash. i feel sick thinking about it :( maybe next year ill get in contact with some people through byc and get eggs and hatch myself. anyhow sorry for hijacking the tread. just needed to vent after seeing what i saw this a.m.!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by