1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these TRUE Blue Ameraucana chicks!? They have blondish brown faces... =(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MisfitMarie, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I've had my heart set on raising up a TRUE Blue Ameraucana cockerel for my ladies. I love the breed, and the blue is my favorite...

So I bought some hatching eggs, after clarifying with the seller that they ARE TRUE AMERAUCANA... NOT Easter Eggers!

I asked probably three times... very excited. Seller even provided a picture of the rooster: a Blue Ameraucana...

SOOO... These little brown and blonde-faced babies are what just hatched out of the eggs.

I'm looking and not seeing any blue... They don't look like the Blue Ameraucana chicks that I've seen pictured here on BYC.

I hope I'm just being over-dramatic and worrying far too much... But I'll admit, I'm going to be awfully disappointed if they're Easter Eggers. =(

A little background: I was a newbie to the breed and bought six "Ameraucana" chicks from the feed store that actually ended up being Olive Eggers/Easter Eggers. This is why I really tried to do my research this time and make sure I was clear on the distinction... Hoping I'm wrong, and that these are, in fact, Blue Ameraucana!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    You can tell if these are true ameraucanas by the color egg they lay, if they only blue they are true ameraucanas if they lay any other color they have been crossed with something somewhere down the line. Hatch a cockerel from a blue egg and keep breeding with only blue eggs until you only get blue eggs.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They might be true Ameraucanas, but the color is really washed out in your photo. What color are their legs? True Ameraucanas have slate blue legs.

4. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    They're legs are greyish in color... I'm just puzzled by the brown and blonde feathers. I don't see any blue anywhere. =/

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are not ameraucanas.

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm sorry, but those are not Blues... They could be a different type of Ameraucana, but not blue... leg color doesn't show it's full color on new hatched chicks, but the legs look ok for now... they might be a different type, no way to know until they feather out, or if they mixed the colors then they are EE's...

True blues hatch out very blue with yellow underbelly and markings...

7. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'll admit, I'm pretty disappointed. I know the camera on my phone doesn't take very good pictures, but they are definitely brownish blonde in color... I don't see any creme-colored bellies. Each one also has a dark chipmunk-looking stripe going down the backs that I recognized on my first clutch of EE's the day I realized they weren't actually Ameraucanas (which they were sold to me as).

[​IMG]Okay, I'm going to take five more minutes to be extremely disappointed... And then I'll go buck up and play with my new chicks.

[​IMG]

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    So very sorry... :(

They are adorable tho... :)

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are not a different kind of ameraucana either, there is no accepted or project variety that hatches out that color. You can see chick down here:

http://ameraucana.org/gallery.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by