Are these true Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MrsJewelsRae, Apr 22, 2011.

1. MrsJewelsRae

MrsJewelsRae New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    I am looking at this trio of Silkies, at first the add didn't post pics and I wanted to buy, for a good price too. But he's posted pics now and they have no feathers on their legs or feet... is this normal in some silkies or are they likely a mixed breed? I'm not getting them for show or anything, just for fun and I'd like them to sit on eggs for me too. But I'd prefer feathered legs... What do you think? http://chatham-kent.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livestock-for-sale-white-silkies-chickens-W0QQAdIdZ275558211#

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    They look like VERY poor quality Silkies. The skin color and ear lobe color is correct, but the lack of leg feathering is...wow...I've never seen a Silkie without leg feathering....they also don't have very good crests, and their body shape is wrong. I think you could probably find better Silkies that actually LOOK like Silkies for not much more money.....

3. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Ummm.....I have silkies and those don't look anything like mine....I'd look somewhere else if it were me.....silkies have feathered legs. Can you find anyone with culls...wrong number of toes, etc.? I've got some here but you're a bit far away and in the wrong country to ship to. If you're looking for broody chickens they can't be beat....look for a pullet or two in the marketplace here or somewhere similar. Maybe you should put a listing on here that you'd like to find a pullet or two.......
    [​IMG] by the way!

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    They're non bearded hatchery quality birds.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    yes they are Hatchery non bearded silkies.

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:This is true. If you are intending for them to just be your pets, then it won't matter to you how pretty they are because they will still be just as sweet. I have an entire coop of just PQ silkies. They are cute, but I don't use them to breed. They are just used for eggs and broodiness. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by