Are these true silver sussex chicks?

HSMOM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Rocky Mount, NC
I bought 3 chicks from a local breeder and were told they were the rare silver sussex chicks. I saw his flock and he had what appeared to be silver sussex and light sussex hens in with silver roosters. What I got were 2 black chicks with black legs and a yellow and black chick. He said that he thought the yellow and black chick would be a male based on coloring. The 2 toned chick is larger than the others and is feathering out slower. I am confused about what I have because based on what I have been reading on BYC about the breed all sussex are supposed to have white legs. Also haven't read that you should be able to sex chicks based on color as they should all be black as chicks. Any ideas?

I had two, true silver sussex chicks. Both were black, one had some white on his face. But not like that yellow and black chick in your picture. He had the same exact beak as that one though. The other was mostly black. Both were cockerels. I never heard of them being auto-sexed. Though I didn't keep them long enough to learn all there is to know about them. I've been busy concentrating on other breeds. I bought the silver sussex on impulse and sold them weeks later. I've heard that not all are breeding true yet.

OK here's my thinking just at first glance I would say
both are pullets judging by leg shanks but the more I look
at the lighter one it looks kinda like a cockerel with out white shanks
I've been raising silvers for a few years now and I know just by looking
at the leg shanks on my chicks that I hatch if there white its a cockerel if
There dark its a pullet

OK here's my thinking just at first glance I would say
both are pullets judging by leg shanks but the more I look
at the lighter one it looks kinda like a cockerel with out white shanks
I've been raising silvers for a few years now and I know just by looking
at the leg shanks on my chicks that I hatch if there white its a cockerel if
There dark its a pullet
are you looking at my pics or the pics that BayGoose posted? My questions is mainly if they are true silver sussex because they could have come from light sussex hens because he had those in with the silver sussex roosters. Also because the 2 toned one looks so different. Here is a more recent pic of them at 3 weeks old. We think that the first one (2 toned) is a male because of his comb, he is larger, last to feather out and is more assertive than the others. Starting to think that one of the black ones is a cockeral too (3rd pic) because he is larger, his comb is more prominent and this is the one that the 2 toned one is the most assertive with. Think that the last one (pic 4) is a pullet because "she" is smaller and comb is less prominent. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Do you have any recent pictures of them? I would just like to see how they look now. We have 1 who we were told when I got her is a silver sussex, but it's really not that big of a deal if she's not. I collect chicken personalities, eggs are a bonus, and this gal has a HUGE personality! But no eggs yet and she's almost a year.

Here's our goofball. Her name is Waffles, and I have to say, funny enough, it fits her.

Back
Top Bottom