Are these truly blue laced red wyandotte chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asher, Sep 1, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    The colors are way lighter than the BLRW standards that I used to hatch out. Even my splash and blue spectrum blrw did not hatch out this light, as far as I remember. I know I got them from Ideal so I shouldn't expect perfection or to standard...I got them for myself to enjoy so that's fine.

The only thing is...I do want them to be blrw! heh I just want to make sure that's what they are. Any clue?

Thank you! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a slightly darker one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one looks very close to right for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've hatched quite a few BLRWs and haven't ever had any that color. I'll see if I can find some pictures of mine when they're day olds. Even the splashes aren't that color.

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    That's what I thought. *sigh* I checked the ideal site and the drawn pics they show of chicks match those colors, but that doesn't mean much.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here are some of my last hatch. Not quite the same color as yours. I'd complain to the hatchery if I were you.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm hoping someone else who has gotten them from Ideal will chime in. I'm curious if this is just "hatchery quality". [​IMG] Guess I shoulda known better, but couldn't find them elsewhere in bantam.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're so yellow so I wonder if they're even hatchery BLRWs. Mine never have any tones of yellow on them at all. A very light tan color, but not yellow. On the up side...they look like cute healthy chicks. [​IMG]

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    They're adorable and thriving...just possibly not what I wanted. *sigh* I'd actually ordered and canceled the order 2 other times so if they're not what I ordered, I'm going to be PEEVED!

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine looked like Katy's. Well, either way, you have some cute and healthy chicks. And even if they are "just" hatchery BLRW, they are great birds and you will love them no matter what they look like!

9. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Mine have all looked like Katys .In Standard and Bantam, I do know that some of the hatchery birds that they introduced some Gold Lace, but they still look like BLRW just more of a gold color where the red should be,

10. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Wugh! Heard them downstairs peeping so went to see what was wrong. Checked their wing feather and am even more upset. Just jotted off an e-mail to Ideal. [​IMG] I've recommended them to so many people that have just wanted pet chickens in the past, but it'd be nice if you at least get some that resemble what they're supposed to be!

Here's part of what I wrote to them:

"WELL, my birds are now mostly feathering in solid white. A few are feathering in some lacing, but it's brown and white! I have no clue what chicks were sent to me, but they are most definitely NOT blue laced red wyandottes"

Most of them are feathering in SOLID white. *sigh* I'm so not a happy camper. I went back and forth for months deciding whether or not to order these. I've wanted them for months, but didn't know if I should splurge on chicks since I had my own chicks (different breeds) hatching here. Guess I shoulda gone with my gut. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by