Are These Tumors On Her Head?

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Legbar that is nearly 5 months old. Had her since hatch, along with 24 other chicks in same batch (various breeds). She has had this growth for about 6 weeks. Now, it looks to be affecting the other side of her head.

At first, we though she was just pecked by other chickens, so we doctored it, held her in a cage for a day, sent her back out. This happened a couple of times. Now, for the past couple of weeks she goes into a cage at night so she can avoid roosting pecking order issues, and morning energy in the coop that could lead to pecking but still have flock time. We have been using sterile saline and Betadine (let it dry) then apply neosprin both morning and night. We added Gentian Violet to the mix recently as it is one of the ingredients in Blu-Kote and is a known microbe inhibitor. So, Gentian Violet applied in the morning (let it dry), then the Betadine/neosporin routine at night time.

Now her growth looks worse and does not appear to be a pecking issue/infection. Is this a tumor? Or is it something else? And yes, her one eye has always been deformed/cloudy since we got her, but she gets around OK, so we weren't concerned.

Pictures from 2 weeks ago, and pictures taken today - they are dated.

Two weeks ago:
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 7.20.11 PM.png

Today:
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 7.25.40 PM.png

Here is the OP’s earlier thread about the lesion on the ear:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/face-injury-not-an-emergency-looking-for-insight.1330107/

I am going to tag @azygous and @casportpony to look at these lesions to see if they look like tumors. A couple of viruses—Lymphiod Leukosis and Mareks disease can cause tumors around the body.

I would also wonder if you lanced one of those, what you would get if it was squeezed a bit? I would see if there was pus inside or just blood.

Sorry for your loss, but very glad that you prevented her from suffering. It is always difficult to cull, but what responsible owners should do. If you would like to get her tested for Mareks or Leukosis, the state vet can perform a necropsy M-F if the body is kept cool. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Yes, I agree. Those are most likely tumors, not cysts. If they are growing very fast, they may be malignant, meaning they could metastasize in other areas of the body. You'll know this is happening if she declines in health and becomes lethargic and loses weight.

I have a hen with a very similar tumor over her eye. It's been slowly growing for around six years, and it hasn't affected the hen's overall health. In fact, she's a healthy, sassy eleven years old.

On the other hand, I do have lymphoid leucosis in my flock, and I've lost chickens to fast growing tumors, all being inside the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom