Are these two chicks roosters or hens? What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by larissakissa, Jul 25, 2013.

1. larissakissa

larissakissa In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    I got these as a "gift" and have no idea if they are roosters or hens. I had another one that was definitely a rooster because he started to crow on the morning, well, at least he was learning. :) I had to give him away because we are not allowed to keep roosters. Well, another chick started "crowing" in the morning too and I can't figure out which one because they always do it in the chicken coop and when I come closer to see or open the door he/she stops crowing. Is it even possible for a chicken/hen to crow?

I would also like to know the breed of the chicken. The first one that is brown/striped I believe is the one who was crowing because when I opened the door to see who was doing it the brown one was standing up and the black one was sitting down. (from what I know about chickens, and it's not a lot, is that the rooster needs to stand in order to crow)

Soooo, the first 3 pics are of the brown one. BTW, he/she has 5 toes instead of 4, he also doesn't seem to have a comb.
    The last pics of the black one. Her comb is rough and flat and she has very feathery feet.
    What do you guys think? Who's the rooster and who's a chicken? And what breed are they?

[​IMG]

This is the brown one when he was just a baby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Of those two the black gets my vote for boy hands down. With 5 toes, the head tufts, and foot feathers, silkie mix probably.

3. larissakissa

Jul 25, 2013
    The brown one has 5 toes, the black one has just 4 but feathers on feet. So you think the black one is a boy and the brown one is a silkie mix?

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Black one definitely gets my vote for boy. They could both be silkie mixes, silkies are supposed to have 5 toes but not even all of the purebreds do. With the toes, head and foot feathering, and as popular as silkies are, they are just the most probable mix. They are more common than Houdan or Sultan mixes but unless you know what some of the possible parents are, with mixes the possibilities are almost endless :) Could also have polish in there (head tufts) cochins for foot feathering etc. Half my Easter Eggers look like your brown one minus the head tuft so maybe you have an EE mix, you'll have another clue when you find out what color egg she lays. Whatever they are, they are unique.

5. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Songster

Feb 14, 2013
    the black one looks like my silkie/ee mix except she is a hen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. larissakissa

Jul 25, 2013
    awwww, I was hoping the black one is a hen since she was my favorite out of 7 we got. It would be really sad to let him/her go. :( I wish there was a way to make them stop crowing.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're both silkie mixes, the brown one is ahen (you'll never see a rooster that color) and the black one is a rooster.

8. larissakissa

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you all. Yes, black one is definitely a rooster. I put him in a box in our basement overnight and sure enough, 5:30 am he starated crowing. Sigh.....that's so sad, but I guess I'll have to give him away. At least he'll go to a friend's house where I can "visit" him every now and then. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: