Are These Two Different Breeds of Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorain's fids, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I am wondering if these are 2 different types of chicks- they are suppose to be Dominiques, but 4 look alike(bottom pic) and 1 looks different(top), she is a lighter color, than the other 4 girls are. And also her facial features are a little different than the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    They look maybe 5 week old, I am thinking they are the same breed, although the top one looks identical to my 6 wk old BR pullets, just lighter... which is a very similar breed as far as appearance. My BR's don't have the dark wash on the beak like your second pic. I do have one which is a lighter than the others as well, although not quite as dramatic as yours. I do think they are the same breed... the lighter may be a cockerel but it may take a few more weeks to know that for sure... the comb doesn't look all that developed yet and the wash on the feet looks pretty dark, although not nearly as dark as the second pic. Only time will tell.
    [​IMG]

Good Luck!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Doms will not have the single ridge, tall comb that Barred Rocks have. I couldn't see in photos the comb well enough to see if it was the rose comb that Doms should have.

4. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Nice looking pic of your chicks!

Oh- PLEASE don't tell me the top one may be a rooster--"Charolette" is kinda my favorite. I would be quite sad if I had to give "her" up.

Also what kind of chicken is a BR??

5. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Fred's Hens :

Doms will not have the single ridge, tall comb that Barred Rocks have. I couldn't see in photos the comb well enough to see if it was the rose comb that Doms should have.

I will try and get a front view picture of them.​

6. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Fred's Hens :

Here is a front view of the first picture I had originally posted-
    [​IMG]
    And here is a front of the second picture I posted, hopefully you could tell better with these views.
    [​IMG]

7. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    That first one seems to be much lighter in feathering that the others. I would probably suspect it was a roo. The comb is much redder and larger too for the same age. Sorry.

8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Call him/her Charlie, and you'll be covered no matter what...

Good luck!
    Where in NJ are you? I'm in Mercer County.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'm not familiar with dominiques. But, those look a lot like my Barred rocks.

10. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:I live in Ocean County.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by