Are these two different breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lhillstad, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Lhillstad

Lhillstad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Southeast Colorado
    Purchased these babes from the feed store in August. The store clerk didn't know what type they were, I thought they were EE's. But now they are 25 weeks old, ready to start laying, and I'm almost positive they are not EE's. There are 8 pullets, 6 of them are one kind (picture below) and 2 are black (picture below). I think the red ones are RIR (not sure), but I've no clue what the 2 black ones are. The black pullets have white legs are seem to be maturing slower than the red pullets who have a more yellow leg. The middle picture shows the difference in the feather design. Any help would be appreciated. ~ Laura

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, no easter eggers there!
    Your dark birds look to be dark cornish.
    The brown hens, I'm not sure. I'm thinking something like a partridge rock, although they look quite light bodied, or a Welsummer. Not a Red bird, though, they're a more solid red over the body.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the black is a dark cornish the middle looks like a welsummer

4. Lhillstad

Oct 13, 2012
    Southeast Colorado
    Well, that surprises me....thanks a lot! [​IMG] ~ Laura

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    first is dark cornish, others are welsummers

6. Lhillstad

Oct 13, 2012
    Southeast Colorado
    Not sure what to do with the black Cornish....are they mainly for meat....not finding a lot of info on them other than that.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they'll lay eggs as well, just not like a leghorn

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    if they came from a hatchery, they should lay good, they are in the egg (hatching) business afterall.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Be sure you're looking at dark cornish, not cornish cross. The cornish cross are terminal bred meat birds. Dark cornish are great birds from what I hear. They're good layers, not on a par with a leghorn or sex link, but good enough. And I hear they make great mothers, if you're so inclined to raise chicks. If you don't want to, you might want to look into rehoming them to someone who wants good broodies.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the so called dark cornish if you enlarge the pic looks to have a beard which would make it an ee the other are either welsummers or brown leghorns

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by