1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these two OEGB both cockerels or is one a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianneS, Nov 3, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    They are around 20 weeks, I think. Please say one is a pullet!! I doubt it though, I think they are both little roos. I thought all along I had one of each and now all of a sudden the second one is starting to look more like a little rooster! [​IMG]

This guy is crowing, so I know he's a roo...
    [​IMG]

This one is now fighting with the crowing one, and starting to look like a roo too! It really looked like a hen up until now! [​IMG] I really needed a hen! I just had one drown in the rain a few weeks ago, and that one was probably a pullet!
    [​IMG]

What color would you say they are? I'm having trouble figuring that out too. I got these as chicks from a lady who knew nothing about them. Apparently they are not pure OE's either, they have rosecombs, I'm trying to figure out what they might be mixed with.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It looks like a pair, if she's about to start laying. We could use a better shot of it's tail. I think the definate roo is blue wheaton maybe.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They might be a pair but there not OEGB's .
    OEGB's don't have rose combs. They only come single comb.. Could be a OEGB crossed withe something else..

Chris

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:He's right you know.

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I've been wondering if they were really OEGB! The lady I got them from claimed that they were, and they were only 4 weeks old, so I really questioned whether she knew what she was talking about. I posted photos of them on here when they were tiny, and everyone confirmed that they were OEGBs.

I don't think they are cross breeds though. She got them as part of a straight run assortment from a hatchery, all pure breeds. I figured that she guessed they were OEGB's by process of elimination, you know, if that was the only breed on the assortment list of possibilities that these chicks fit the description. She got rid of them because they were so tiny they could fit through the holes in her pen! They were like little bumble bees! They had chipmonk stripes too.

Here is a better shot of the one in question's tail. (Well now they're both in question, their breed anyway!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She got them as part of a straight run assortment from a hatchery, all pure breeds

With hatchery stock sometimes they are pure bread as to being a bantam and not pure bread as to breed so they (could) have a rose comb rooster (the breed rose comb) in with a pen of OEGB hens or a Rhode Island Red rooster in a pen with New Hampshire hens. They all will be pure bread as to being a bantam BUT not pure bread as too breed...

Chris​

7. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] I'll try and contact that woman and find out what hatchery they came from. Do you think they could be a Rosecomb bantam and OE cross?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- don't know what they are- but the second one is a girl. They ARE cute! Nice colors too.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It could be possible. I was using the breeds that I posted as a example but they could be a Rosecomb bantam and OE cross.. Anything is possible.. [​IMG]

Chris

10. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:I sure hope the second is a girl, that would be great!

I just emailed the lady I got them from so I could find out the hatchery and any other details, so I could get a better idea of what they could be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by