Are these two Splash Silkies Roos or Pullets?! (semi picture heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by apack711, Sep 25, 2010.

1. apack711

apack711 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    NH/MA seacoast
    These guys are about 4 months and it looks like one of them might be developing streamers .... but I'd like some opinions if anyone would like to help me out I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance [​IMG]

This is the lighter of the two, and I don't really see anything too noticibly roo-like, but I'm really not sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the other one, and I'm leaning more towards roo with this one ... but they're still young so who knows!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

#2 obviously has some streamers starting to pop up in back, so I say definately roo.

#1 I am on the fence, in one or two pics it looks rooish, but in others pullety. that one can go either way ? lol

Aren't silkies frustrating sometimes? Good luck, i'll cross my fingers for a pair for ya!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1 But I'm guessing.

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Boys [​IMG]

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Number two is def a roo. I am leaning towards roo for number one as well. [​IMG]

6. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Im going to differ from the pack and say two girls. One of my girls has quite a few streamers (she was the first to lay).

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    My opinion would be both girls on these two too, at 4 months all my silkie boys were crowing! they had huge wattles and swept back crests where as yours have nice rounded crests, though mine weren't of the bearded variety, still you should know for sure shortly, the waiting is almost up!

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    #2 is definitely a roo, he already has his streamers. Judging by the comb size on #1, I'd say that one's also a roo.

9. apack711

apack711 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    NH/MA seacoast
    Thanks for all your opinions so far! I'll keep you posted as they mature. I wish they would either crow or lay an egg already! The suspense is killing me haha! I have a Wyandotte/Favorelle or Cochin mix (he's a mystery bonus egg we hatched) that is the same age and he's been crowing for over a month now! Both the silkies are so beautiful I don't want to part with them. This was my first time hatching eggs, and it seems as though I was cursed. We've got only a couple hens out of 8 chicks! Anyone need any roosters??[​IMG][​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My silkies have always started laying/crowing around 7 or 8 months old, so I'm afraid you've got a while to wait for that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by