Are these Vulture Hocks on my Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guitartists, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think they are..maybe???. I know they're an unwanted trait. But, I am just having such a hard time telling what with him being a Silkie and all....... plus, is his comb TOO red? I know it should be darker, but is it beyond breeding? Not that I have any SQ Silkies yet.... but I just need to know who to separate out into the pet pen once we get to that point. This one is my son's pet... so he's staying [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think he is from a Showgirl breeding program also... as the lady had Silkies and Showgirls in all of the colors available. What would that mean for future breeding? Does NN require one or two copies?

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    His comb is too red, yes, also, I would look for a cockeral with a better crest.

NN gene is dominant-only needs one copy to show, so he's not carrying the gene.

Those look like normal silkie featherings. Vulture hocks are present on d' Uccles, if you are looking for comparison.

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I pretty much figured he was destined for the pet pen [​IMG] Hmmm.... to figure out what other kind of girls to get for him now. No sense in giving him more Silkies... might as well make it interesting [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I have a cockerel who I think has vulture hocks also. The feathers on his knee go a few inches out more compared to my other cockerels.
    [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What is a vulture hock? This is the first time ive heard of that.

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    The top one doesn't look like true vulture hocks but Year of the Roosters is little more exaggerated.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but vulture hocks are when the feathers on the knee extend past their usual length, which makes them look like a vulture; hence the name. I've been told it is an undesirable trait in silkies and (again correct me if I'm wrong) I think it's a DQ.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I agree with Bama, the second roo is longer than it should be.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Top roo...not vulture hocks to me. Second one...yep...a little too long.

Both nice birds though!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by