Are these wattles in the making?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JustClucky, Mar 30, 2011.

1. JustClucky

JustClucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    Chick is about 2 weeks old. The other chick doesn't have this at all but these fleshy bits sprouted overnight so who knows... I'm assuming this means it's a roo?

[​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    yep that's what those are! congrats prolly a boy!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Those are wattles...lol. My little guy's started turning pinkish at three weeks... [​IMG] Went from Catalina to Bocephus within a few days time...

4. Weasleysflock

Weasleysflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Conshocken, PA
    Yup. [​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Do pullets get wattles?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, pullets get wattles. That chick is awfully young to judge pullet vs cockerel.

7. teach1rusl

Pullets get wattles and combs. But of my two d'uccles, who are 4 weeks old, my female still has no noticeable wattle. To see such a clear wattle at 2 weeks, I'd be suspicious. It'll either start getting some pink in over the next week or so or it won't...lol. My little guy didn't get his wattle until about three weeks, and it started coloring up this week... His comb really popped up by week three too, and has turned a nice pink this past week. How's the comb looking on your little chick???

8. JustClucky

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    The comb is totally non-existent but at the rate that these wattles popped out, I could wake up tomorrow to a little something there. Who knows. lol I agree that it's definitely early to really tell much but I'd rather be prepared if we have a roo or two. And FYI, this is the chick that I was POSITIVE was a pullet. I had my suspicions about the other GLW but not this one! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe they'll both turn out to be ladies.

9. teach1rusl

10. JustClucky

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    Quote:THANK YOU!!! I'm going to definitely watch that thread. Those chickies don't look very much like mine but mine are a lot younger, too. [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by