1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these welsh harlequins--or was I duped?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mcjerdensfarm, Apr 26, 2009.

1. mcjerdensfarm

mcjerdensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Tishomingo, MS
    I purchased some welsh harlequin eggs last summer and hatched out my babies. I know that the feet of the females get darker as they get older, but what about the bills??? All the females that I have seen have dark bills and my girls do not as you can see. I love them all the same, but I am curious if I have the "real things."

[​IMG]

They just went for a swim--I think they are just beautiful!

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    They look like welsh harlequins but they might have some other breed like appleyard in them, I dont think I have seen a yellow billed harlequin hen before.

*edited for spelling*

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The drake looks like my silver appleyards.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
  5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The drake looks correct but then Hens should have greenish black bills. Feather coloring looks good on the drake and the hens coloring is pretty close.

6. mcjerdensfarm

mcjerdensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Tishomingo, MS
    Their bills are orange with darker spots on them. That is why I was wondering if the bills might get darker with age. I really have no idea, but I too have never seen a female with an orange/yellow bill. I think they are beautiful all the same, but I've been asked by a few friends if I would sell any eggs when they started laying. I don't want to wrongly sell a specific breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by