Are these wings normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Dec 17, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    My female muscovy is almost done growing her flight feathers, but they seem odd. They look very ragid. Is this normal for new feathers? Also when I let her out in the morning she runs around really fast flipping here wings and hopping, it this just stretching or is she trying to fly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    Anybody?

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Does she have access to any type of swimming water or a water bowl deep enough to stick her head into so she can preen properly?

4. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    These are new feathers, right? I've always noticed that when new ones grow, they grow out in a tube shape from the pin. Sometimes it takes a little while for the feather to uncurl and lay right. I agree with KansasKid: get it a large tub of water and she'll fix them herself with grooming.

5. K4zn4v3

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:She has access to a bucket of water 24/7

6. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    she probably needs somethng larger than a bucket.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yes they look normal just not fully developed yet. She is streching and excersising her wings. flight is almost a full instinct in muscovy since they are tree ducks in the wild. other domestics have had the need for flight bred out of them as they get too heavy for their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by