1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Are these worm eggs ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fuzzyllama, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Fuzzyllama

Fuzzyllama In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2018
    I treated alll my girls not long ago, but this morning my broody girl came out and dropped this one, and it has what looks like little eggs all over it ?

If they are worms, will flubenvet destroy the type of worm in dealing with ?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7960.JPG

2. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster 6 Years

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    i use flubenvet so i hope it does work. i have never seen anything like that but they do look like eggs to me.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Those are tapeworm segments. One of your birds has tapeworms. If you know which one, isolate her and treat her with praziquantel which can be found in a horse paste to treat tapeworms in horses. Or go to your vet and get drontal or droncit for a dog or cat for tapeworm treatment. Provide the vet the approximate weight of your chicken so the vet can give you the proper amount to treat your chickens. You will need two dosings. The second dosing given in 10 days after the first dosing.
    Flubenvet will not treat tapeworms.
    It's possible your hen might be the only one infected with tapeworms because chickens get tapeworms from eating infected insects. Your other chickens may not have eaten an infected insect. However, keep your eyes open for segments in feces from your other birds, isolate and treat accordingly.

4. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Looks to me that the are not in the stool but on the stool! I would suggest they were deposited there by some sort of adult pest. Fly, slug or some sort of creepy crawler.
    Just a guess, hope to learn something here. :pop

5. Stepnout

Stepnout Songster

May 6, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Just learned something! I thought tapeworm sections were longer like rice. Googled tapeworm images.......never realized about their eggs. Reading these post better prepares a fellow for when the inevitable happens!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    dawg53 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: