Are these worm eggs ??

Fuzzyllama

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
I treated alll my girls not long ago, but this morning my broody girl came out and dropped this one, and it has what looks like little eggs all over it ?

If they are worms, will flubenvet destroy the type of worm in dealing with ?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7960.JPG

Those are tapeworm segments. One of your birds has tapeworms. If you know which one, isolate her and treat her with praziquantel which can be found in a horse paste to treat tapeworms in horses. Or go to your vet and get drontal or droncit for a dog or cat for tapeworm treatment. Provide the vet the approximate weight of your chicken so the vet can give you the proper amount to treat your chickens. You will need two dosings. The second dosing given in 10 days after the first dosing.
Flubenvet will not treat tapeworms.
It's possible your hen might be the only one infected with tapeworms because chickens get tapeworms from eating infected insects. Your other chickens may not have eaten an infected insect. However, keep your eyes open for segments in feces from your other birds, isolate and treat accordingly.

Looks to me that the are not in the stool but on the stool! I would suggest they were deposited there by some sort of adult pest. Fly, slug or some sort of creepy crawler.
Just a guess, hope to learn something here. :pop

Those are tapeworm segments. One of your birds has tapeworms. If you know which one, isolate her and treat her with praziquantel which can be found in a horse paste to treat tapeworms in horses. Or go to your vet and get drontal or droncit for a dog or cat for tapeworm treatment. Provide the vet the approximate weight of your chicken so the vet can give you the proper amount to treat your chickens. You will need two dosings. The second dosing given in 10 days after the first dosing.
Flubenvet will not treat tapeworms.
It's possible your hen might be the only one infected with tapeworms because chickens get tapeworms from eating infected insects. Your other chickens may not have eaten an infected insect. However, keep your eyes open for segments in feces from your other birds, isolate and treat accordingly.
Just learned something! I thought tapeworm sections were longer like rice. Googled tapeworm images.......never realized about their eggs. Reading these post better prepares a fellow for when the inevitable happens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom