1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

are these worms in my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sesplus2, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sesplus2

sesplus2 Hatching

Feb 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

Never have I seen worms in the eggs but this makes me question. Does anyone know if this is a worm?

Thank you in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. sesplus2

sesplus2 Hatching

Feb 17, 2016
    yeah I read that article and just didn't know. Are the worms always long? I'm super anal about cleaning and it may sound gross but paying attention to their poop as I know you see worms in poop before eggs. It just looked a little off to me.
    Thanks

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    lol I do the same thing[​IMG]

I would think that the worms would be long - my thoughts are thatthere would have to an overload - major infestation for them to show up in the eggs. The hen would most likely be showing some symptoms of illness.

If you have a vet they can easily perform a fecal float on a fresh poop sample to confirm whether your flock has worms. Some people do worm a couple of times a year, but testing would give you answers and you wouldn't be treating unnecessarily and throwing eggs away for the withdrawal period if there wasn't a problem.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No, that is not a worm.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by