Are these worms????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mama Hen Chris, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    This is all new to me. If this is worms, what kind are they and what action do I take? And I have read that most meds you give, you have to discard their eggs for 24 days? Now that it has started to cool down here, 7 of my 9 layers are laying almost every day. Never a dull moment here! Murphy's Law.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. I have 12 different breeds ranging from 4 months to 13 months old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. They all seem happy and they are acting "normal"

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed this last night and then this morning and tonight.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? I am sure only one has this issue so far.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure...thinking maybe the doves that come in our yard left worms is their excrement?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. All my girls are eating the same feed and drinking well. They got spinach as a treat and have been eating cottage cheese, oatmeal in the morning.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure who has the runny excrement with the "white rice like" bugs. The other excrements look normal...so far.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would like to treat them myself but have a vet available if need be.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appreciate any advice you can assist me with.

Thank you,

Chris

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thank you for that site...Looks like tapeworm to me.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:thanks again for your help [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you use valbazen. Oral dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose in 10 days. If it's tapeworms, it might require a 3rd dosing 10 days after the 2nd dosing.

7. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thanks dawg53, I am going to call around to the feed stores today and see who carries this. Do you need to dispose of the girls eggs or can they be eaten during this process? Anything I need to do to their run and/or coop and our small backyard so this does not happen again?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Thanks dawg53, I am going to call around to the feed stores today and see who carries this. Do you need to dispose of the girls eggs or can they be eaten during this process? Anything I need to do to their run and/or coop and our small backyard so this does not happen again?

Jefferslivestock.com carries it if your feedstores dont. Keep in mind that most wormers wont kill tapeworms...valbazen will. Egg withdrawal is 24 days start to finish. There's nothing you can do to your soil. Keeping everything dry as best as you can, once a week coop cleaning helps. If their feet touch the ground, they'll evenytually get worms. A regular worming schedule will help keep them worm free. I worm mine once every 3 months. You might only need to worm semi annually/annually depending on your soil conditions. Warm/moist/wet soil is condusive for worms/eggs...cocci as well, might require worming more often.

9. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ

Jefferslivestock.com carries it if your feedstores dont. Keep in mind that most wormers wont kill tapeworms...valbazen will. Egg withdrawal is 24 days start to finish. There's nothing you can do to your soil. Keeping everything dry as best as you can, once a week coop cleaning helps. If their feet touch the ground, they'll evenytually get worms. A regular worming schedule will help keep them worm free. I worm mine once every 3 months. You might only need to worm semi annually/annually depending on your soil conditions. Warm/moist/wet soil is condusive for worms/eggs...cocci as well, might require worming more often.

Good to know. I live in AZ and their run is all sand. That stays pretty dry. I have sand in their coop as well and clean their droppings every day. I let them run in the yard every morning and when I get home from work. That is usually when the sprinklers have been on. Time of year anyhow that they do not need to be on so early or late now.

Just when my girls are getting back into laying 6-7 eggs a day since it is cooling down ( double digits finally- 90's) . Oh well, Murphy's Law! I just want my girls to be healthy and stay happy.
    I do appreciate your information. Thanks so much.

Chris

10. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    They look like maggots to me. The hatch from eggs flies lay. --jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by