Are they *actually* Araucanas? Genders? (lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Jun 19, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I bought these in February and they should be about 4-5 months old. I think i've got 2 roosters and 1 hen, but they look nothing like Araucanas! Was i cheated?? (sorry guys... I know the pics suck... [​IMG] )

Chick #1 (rooster?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2 (rooster?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 (hen?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it helps here is a pic of them as chicks:

[​IMG]

I haven't got a picture of them all together so you can see the difference in size, but #1 is significantly larger than the other 2 and has the thickest legs. He's also the most dominant. Chick #2 is also slightly larger than #3 and both #1 and #2 have muffs which #3 is lacking a little. I've been googling Araucanas on the internet and haven't found any that look like mine.. They haven't begun to lay yet and i don't think there are Ameraucanas in Australia yet. Could they be mutts?

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Well, I don't know anything about Australian chickens but the first two look like blue Ameraucanas and the third looks more like a British type Araucana. Nothing makes me think roo on any of them. If they are 4-5 months old, I would expect to see pointy saddle and hackle feathers to indicate roo.

3. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    All I see are hens [​IMG]

4. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
  5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Nope I believe Araucanas are rumpless? 3rd one looks rooish and is stumping me with that hairdo- to me the other 2 look to be blue Ameraucana girls.

6. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    last one is a english araucana, and looks like a hen

7. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Agreed that the first to are blue ameraucana pullets. The last I'm not sure of breed or gender, due to the crest. The last one also seems to be lavender, not blue.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Note that the OP is in Sidney Australia. Our Standard for a breed is quite different than theirs. [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    Nope I believe Araucanas are rumpless?

By U.K. Standard they may come tailed or tailless. [​IMG]

Chris​

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a link to the U.K. Araucana Club. Bird 3 is a U.K. Lavender (Self Blue) Araucana.
    The Araucana Poultry Club of Great Britain, :

The British Araucana Club, The Poultry Club of Great Britain, The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the British Poultry Council formally recognises only four "types" of purebred Araucana in the UK. Specifically; The Large Tailed, The Bantam Tailed, The Large Rumpless and The Bantam Rumpless.http://www.araucana.org.uk/breed_standards.html

Photos of U.K. Araucana Fowl.
    http://www.araucana.org.uk/photos.html

Chris​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by