Are they alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bre113, Mar 2, 2014.

1. bre113

bre113 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    This is my first time hatching chicks on my own. We had a bad snow storm two weeks ago that caused a 6 hour power outage, and our eggs had no heat. They were 6 days. I candled them this morning, and now they're on lockdown. I am not sure if they even made it because of the storm. I can see blood vessels in most of them. I know ones a dud. I have 13, but only took pics of 3.
    The first egg:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Third, I thinks dead.
    [​IMG]

2. bre113

Mar 2, 2014
    Also, on the third egg, the spot below the x moves when I move the egg. Near certain it's dead.

3. bre113

Mar 2, 2014
    Bump.
    Just curious as to if I should be expecting chicks or not. I know you can't tell if they're truly alive, so I guess what I mean is, do these eggs look typical for 18 days?

4. bre113

Mar 2, 2014
    Anyone? Please help!

5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I would just keep them set for a while longer and then candle in a few days. Third one doesn't look to hot, but keep them in there anyways. Eggs are a little hardier than we think, so I wouldn't be surprised if some hatch even with the short power outage.

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I had 2 sets of eggs in the incubator when we had a 36 hour power outage. The temps got down to 60 degrees. Both sets had some hatch, but 2 days late in both cases. Last hatch was 75%, which was very happy with.
    Don't give up on them for a few days past when they are due.

7. bre113

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank y'all! I couldn't see any movement in the eggs, but I know that's not a sure way to tell. They appear too big to have stopped developing at 6 days, and I saw veins as well, so I'm hoping we will have a few survive, as their mom died, which is why I'm hatching them. She was eaten by a hawk :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by