Are they all roosters? =o

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SouthernChicka8, Jun 2, 2012.

1. SouthernChicka8

SouthernChicka8 Chirping

May 13, 2012
    SOUTHERN TEXAS
    Sooooo I have these um.. chicks and I had bought them when they were younger but now I think they are all roosters. What breed are they? They all have started growing in their shiny green tail feathers lol =[

[​IMG]
    These ones also have started growing in nice pretty green tail feathers :(

[​IMG]

I honestly think I am over run with roosters. I think my naked necks are roos too!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly... what breed is this white one? I bought a few at the feed store.. but dont remember which ones are which. I was told some were white Plymouth rock n the others were Cornish X... Which are which? =S

[​IMG]

These ones^^ were bought on easter. I have 3 that look like this ^^^(The ones below were bought like a month before easter)

[​IMG]
    And 6 that look like this one... I was told they were 2 separate breeds. What can they be?

Very Inexperienced in Texas LOL!

2. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like prodution reds or rir hard for me to tell
    necked necks do look like cockerels to me but its hard to tell
    the 1st white looks like a white leghorn
    the 2nd looks like a cornish x or its a rock

thats my guesses

3. SouthernChicka8

SouthernChicka8 Chirping

May 13, 2012
    SOUTHERN TEXAS
    Lol I think I ended up with more roosters then hens =o. Thank you for guessing :)

4. SouthernChicka8

SouthernChicka8 Chirping

May 13, 2012
    SOUTHERN TEXAS
    Also.. How would I be able to tell a girl from a boy at a young age?

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The top two pics are of cockerels - Production Reds of some kind. The first pic of the Naked Neck is a cockerel. The second pic showing the two Naked Necks, I can't see the one on the left well enough. I believe it is a cockerel but there is a chance it could be a pullet. The first all white looks like a leghorn. They tend to have big red combs, even the hens. I can't see that one well enough to see hackle/saddle feathers so my guess on that would be dependant on age, which I'm not sure you mentioned. I suspect probably a cockerel. The white one in the bottom pic could be a Cornish X or even a White Rock, and again, my guess on gender on that one would be based on age. If it is an 8-week-old chick with a comb that red, it is a cockerel. If it is 18 weeks, my guess would be pullet.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There are several methods to determine gender. Vent sexing is a skill that few have, but can be used to tell gender in day-old chicks.

Some can be sexed by their coloration if they are a sex-linked breed. In other words, certain combinations of roo over hen will produce chicks that can be determined at hatch by their coloration.

Otherwise, looking for the comb to get pink early (2-4 weeks of age) and start to get bigger, is usually an indication you have a boy. If the comb stays yellow and doesn't grow, it is likely a pullet. Early development of wattles also indicate a boy.

Then, as they get older, you will see the hackle (around the neck) and saddle (in front of the tail) feathers start to get thin and pointy in cockerels and stay thicker and rounded if a pullet.

7. SouthernChicka8

SouthernChicka8 Chirping

May 13, 2012
    SOUTHERN TEXAS
    Oh Okay. Thank you so much! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: