1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are they Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MagikarpKai, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MagikarpKai

MagikarpKai Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Bought these 3 as barred rock but now I'm wondering if they're something else. From what I've read they should have a spot on their heads but it's just black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    The first one looks like a black australorp chick, the last two look like black star chicks.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The last two look like they have muffs (fluffy cheeks) and pea combs. They look a lot like my backyard bred black sexlinks. Mine are Easter Egger rooster crossed with Barred Rock hens.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a clean-faced pullet from my most recent hatch. Looks a lot like your first chick.
    [​IMG]

Where did you get your chicks from?

4. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    I bought them from a local farm along with some ameraucana chicks. They were mixed in with rhode island red and light sussex so I don't think I could have grabbed the wrong breed by accident...

5. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    Is it possible they could be black ameraucanas?

6. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    They came from a local farm who had a brooder full of light sussex, rhode island red, ameraucana (which I also bought), and Barred rock...

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Was a color variety specified for the Ameraucana?
    Did they breed the chicks, or do they order from a hatchery? If they bred the chicks, they are probably all mixed breeds.

8. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    I suspect they're from True North hatchery. The people didn't want to tell me which in hindsight is strange.

9. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    The hatchery says their ameraucana flock has a mix of colours.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Like most hatcheries, they have Easter Eggers, that they call Ameraucanas. How much did you pay for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by