Are they being lazy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DillardHome, Nov 3, 2010.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Hello All!!

I have 5 Rouens (4 hens & 1 drake) that I had ordered from Ideal back in March 2010. After they grew their feathers I "released" them to our acre pond and that's where they have been every since. I took down their run and left their duck house in case they ever wanted to sleep there (yea right!) and that's where their feed pan remains. I would still fill it with their feed even though they forage all day in the pond and yard. Whenever the pan is empty they would always come by the backporch or find me outside and start quacking up a storm kinda cute actually how they are communicating with me. So I would get their feed and they would follow me back to their house. And then they wouldn't track me down for a couple days (when the pan is empty). But in the past couple weeks they seem to be tracking me down daily because their pan is already empty, they will even climb up the 3 steps to our backporch and peer through the glass door trying to find me, next thing you know they'll start ringing the doorbell! [​IMG] Oh how I love my funny ducks!! [​IMG]

Do you think they are just eating more because of the cooler weather (this is their first Fall/Winter) or are they just finding it easier to get food from me than finding it all themselves in the pond & yard? I do see them foraging so I know they are.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm thinking that they may not be getting as much food by foraging as they did before because of the change of seasons and change of natural food supply. So, they're hungrier and coming to you to fill the gap.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Besides the cooler weather, you could also have some other critter that is eating their duck food. If a possom or coon finds it, they will scarf it up pronto. Squirrels, chipmunks etc. will hoard it away for winter if it's cracked corn/whole grains.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've noticed that mine are more hungry too. The do free range and forage all day as well. So I have just increased their food. The outdoor bowl is also being raided by birds. They don't eat much but some.

5. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Quote:I thought about that. I am going to ask hubby to set up the gamecam to see just in case. Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by