Are they bored??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickyLove, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Three month old chicks went out in the coop three days ago. They seem to be enjoying running, foraging, dust bathing and eating. They even put themselves to bed last night at dusk. So I'm wondering if there's anything I can or should do to liven things up for them at all? They hear me in the kitchen from the window talking to my dughter and they pace the fence looking for me. GUILT!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's what they do. Don't worry about it and don't succumb to it. [​IMG][​IMG]

They become addicted to "the giant who feeds us". Which is fine, except that if they actually do get a "treat" every single time, they'll throw their diet off whack. Remember, they are extremely social and community being and YOU are the leader of the pack. They act out big time. They act like they've never been fed, they act out every time they hear your voice, or hear the back door slam. They are chickens. It's what they do.

3. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Thanks! I was in the kitchen a few minutes making a cup of coffee, when I started hearing this really strange elongated "brawwwwwwwww...urrrrrrrrrkkkkk" sound, ROFL! Peeked out and sure enough, there they were at the fence looking right at me. They got all excited, so I went out and petted and snuggled them for a few minutes. They seem happier now and I feel less guilty. I'm sure I won't suffer with as much seperation anxiety in another week (said tongue in cheek).

ETA - Oops... I forgot to read the "don't succumb to it" part before I headed out there!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Oh yes, that's what they do. My Delaware, Mabel, is currently bleating like a dying goat outside my kitchen window. Oh the injustice of the human not coming out with treats! Don't succumb, shut the windows, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by