Are they both roosters?? *Updated with pictures!*

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
When I had my chicks out for some play time in my daughter's room today, two of the chicks started bumping chests.....you know like when guys have a few drinks on a crazy sitcom and bump bellies? lol Well that's sort of the best way I can describe it
lol.png

Does that mean they are both roosters or do hens and all chickens do that?

I mean sometimes the smaller of those two tries to snuggle under the bigger one like it's his momma but that chest bumping looked like something I picture roosters doing.

Last edited:
Hens do chest bumps as well. I just saw one of my EE girls chest bumping with their own rooster because they didn't want to be bothered with his mating dance while they were trying to dust. lol My buff orp hens squabble like that now and then as well. Post a pic..maybe we can tell you what you have there.

Jody

I like watching the little ameraucana chicks when they are about a week old. The boys will usually be fighting or running around being in everyones business. The first one to fly up on the edge of the brooder is usually a male.

I have gotten pretty good at determining sex by personality traits.

OK here are some pictures. If anyone can help me with their sex I would be so happy! Even a hint on breeds or what their mix might be would be fun to know. But I am more looking to get opinions on sex. Thank you!
big_smile.png

This is the larger chick, Lucky......

P1010001.jpg

Lucky again....

P1010002.jpg

This is the second chick, Trixie......

CP1010002.jpg

Trixie again...

P1010122-1.jpg

This is the third chick, Sunshine.....

P1010124.jpg

Sunshine again.....