1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are they dead? Trouble candling eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, Mar 16, 2012.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone, I have 2 mallard eggs that have been in the incubator for 13 days the first one has one half that is completely dark, but I can't really see blood vessels. I'm thinking that it was an early death, but the shell is so dark it's hard to tell. The second one has a dark blob (I'm pretty sure it's not a bacterial issue) that looks like it could be an embryo, but again no blood vessels. Are there any other ways to tell if an egg is dead? I'm using a strong maglite to candle them, but they shells are fairly dark and I can't tell. I'll try to post pictures soon.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Sorry to say, but those are dead :/ if you see no veining, this early, then their gone...

3. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I had that feeling. I just don't want to throw eggs into the woods to find out they were alive [​IMG] so I just need another opinion. I think that the first one is an early death because it's dark on one half. I'm really bad at hatching [​IMG]. This is the second round that didn't hatch. Oh well my ducks are giving me 6 eggs a day and there are enough drakes (plus it's their mating season) so I'll just keep working at it. Practice makes perfect.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Did you ever see veining in the begining?

My welsh sarted laying, but the drake isnt breeding them, so i am not getting any fertile eggs from them. I am getting fertile rouen eggs though :) gonna be setting 6 next week :D

Sorry about your mallard eggs :(

5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    I thought I saw faint veining in the very beginning, but after that I was really busy so I never got to check. I just put in 3 khaki and 2 WH eggs a little while ago. I hope I get better luck this time :) Tomorrow morning I'll put a mallard egg in.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Are these pure breds? or is it a mixed flock?

I had3 ancona eggs in from my pair, and one made it all the way to lockdown.... died after it hatched though... bummer...

7. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    They're most likely a mix because all of the ducks except for the calls are in together.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh. Do you plan on seperating to breeding? and hatching pure breds? Do you have a khaki drake?

9. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    Do you see movement? Sometimes veining is very hard to see after the 2nd week. I would look at the movement of the egg. If there is no movement then chances are they are not viable any longer.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Why not wait and see if one of the ducks would brood some eggs then you'd probably get a good hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by