1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are they dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by llxll00llxll, Oct 25, 2007.

1. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    my last post...my power went out and the temp in the bator dropped to 70... i wrapped the eggs up in a blanket to keep em warm... its day 23 and 24 for a couple and nothin...im convinced there dead.. [​IMG] no pipping...no moving.. anybody else think there gone?

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I've read if nothing on day 24 then, they probably are. Sorry. They should have been at least moving or wobbling in the egg by now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This is what I am so very afraid of. My bulb went out and the temp was down to 80 before I knew it. I am only on day 7.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Priss, I wouldn't worry too much about that. The mother hen leaves the nest once or twice a day; my broody left her nest for up to 45 minutes at a time and all hatched. A cooldown may delay a hatch a bit, but the temp spikes are worse. I bet they're fine. However, being on day 24 isn't good. By then, with no movement or pipping, I'd say they may be goners, sorry.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've left eggs out on the counter over night on day 3 and still had them hatch. Granted, percent hatch dropped down to 60%.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    The low temp may cause development delay I'd give it a couple more days just to be sure - I have power outs all the time - I have had day 27 hatch only one but it did hatch.

then breath get more eggs and say many times

"I haven't lost as many eggs as Shari"

I have killed more breeds then hatcheries sell !

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I know the worry part is because I am a control freak. LOL This is something you can only control just so much and it makes me insane!

Shari, any hatch beats my current standing. Last hatch - 0% of 15 eggs thanks to the US Postal Service handling my box like a mac truck.

8. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Id say give them a a bit longer. I have known people whos kids or cats bumped the plug out and didnt find it until the next AM. With a sucessful hatch.
    Keep us posted!!

9. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    after candling 2 egg's one from 10-4 and 10-5 both have movement inside.. [​IMG] one from 10-8 is also moving... so they should take how many more days ..im happy there movin

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's great! So, the hatch is just very much delayed then. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by