Are they digging to China?

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
My hens are digging holes in the run. I guess that this is one way to look for worms. Is there any other reason? They are covering other things in the run though. I had a big rock for them to hop on and now that is sinking. Also is the ground getting higher because they are adding compost to the ground? Should I be taking the extra soil out periodically? I do rake it and take off the top layer now and then.

Hello
smile.png

My chickens also are on their way to china
smile.png
I've read quite a bit about digging. I've found several reasons for digging. The first is the keep cool in the sun. The earth cools them down. The second, is taking dust baths. I'd swear some days my pure white chickens are some sort of gray! The third was, as you mentioned, for worms and grubs, and whatever else they can manage to eat! The fourth was simply because the chickens are bored! Digging gives them something to do. But, their digging gives us something to watch! Hope your ladies never make it to china!

chickens dig. various reasons but mine have 2 holes they've created in their pen (and they're loose 10 hours a day in yard)that when they lay in them all you can see is their heads. with only 6 girls they shouldn't be adding THAT much new ground so let them be chickens and dig. they like the spot by the rock, it sounds, so careful the rock doesn't tumble into hole squashing someone.

Lordy girl, I have to refill holes every day or they would tunnel out of the run!
barnie.gif

DH built our run where they burned trash in the 1950's so the girls unearth all sorts of broken glass, poptops, and unidentifiable objects.

What disturbs me is they have begun to dig under the concrete pad for the shed next to their run. I will go out one day find it leaning and the girls squashed like a bug.
th.gif

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Lordy girl, I have to refill holes every day or they would tunnel out of the run!
barnie.gif

DH built our run where they burned trash in the 1950's so the girls unearth all sorts of broken glass, poptops, and unidentifiable objects.

What disturbs me is they have begun to dig under the concrete pad for the shed next to their run. I will go out one day find it leaning and the girls squashed like a bug.
th.gif

Mine started doing that I had to bring in a bunch of big rocks to stack next to the building so they couldn't do that.​

AllCoop'dUp :

Mine started doing that I had to bring in a bunch of big rocks to stack next to the building so they couldn't do that.

We are planning to add to the run and when we do we will relocate the nest boxes to the shed wall and that should stop the digging under the slab. I have some large rocks that were the foundation for an old house across the street...my FIL bought the property, tore down the house and used the lot for his garden. If it gets down to it, I will move them to the run to keep them away from the shed foundation; DH would hate to hear that...he hates moving them.​

Quote:
Mine made it to china and back, my 4 foot by 8 foot raised beds look like the surface of the moon with chicken size craters about 6 inches deep, can't wait till I have that fence done so we can have our yard and gardens back!
The fresh and tasty eggs make it all worth while tho!!
clap.gif

I dunno, I think it's sort of cute to see them in their foxholes in the yard. They make the holes large enough for them to lay down, and when they look around, just their heads and necks are above the normal level of the ground around their holes.

The other day I had six chickens periscoping in the yard. Cracks me up!

(Until the day I step in one at night, fall and break a leg....)

We let our girls free range all day for about a month
celebrate.gif
loved watching them run around but the digging was beginning to totally destroy our yard
hit.gif
now we free range them for an hour or two before sunset which has reduced the digging but they still get time to roam about before bedtime
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif

My chickens started digging a 3 by 1 trough in their run for their dust bathing. I don't mind that much. I put Hardware Cloth on the run frame and filled it with dirt to keep them in and predators out! Of course Koda my Great Pyrenees sure does help! Coyotes have been more than annoying around here. There is a pack of 5 to 10 around here! I hear them every night and Koda is busy keeping them at bay. Of course my neighbors 2 dogs help her out as well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom