Are they done for good !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mracey, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mracey

mracey New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    I have been reading a lot of the posts & replies on the forum about culling older or unproductive hens. The one thing that i'm having trouble finding out for sure is that when a younger hen (1-3 year old) has stopped laying & her pubic bones have closed up (1 finger or less) & are stiff, is she done laying for good, as in going thru menopause, or can they open back up, become pliable again & her start laying again? I have mainly 1-2 year old heavy breed girls that have been through a very,very hot summer. It's been 3 months & only about 1/3 are laying now, most have closed up pubic bones & appear to be done. One older lady that has raised chickens all of her life told me that I had might as well cull them because the extreme heat does somthing to some hens that will cause this situation & if their pubic bones are closed they are finished laying for good.
    Has anyone got first hand knowledge of this. I would hate to cull them if they will come back into production. Any help would be really appreciated!

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Usually hens stop laying in the fall/winter and molt(grow a new set of feathers). My white leghorn only stopped laying 13 days, but all the others are now at 3 months(slackers [​IMG] ). Some hens will start back then they finsh molting, and some will not start again until spring. Chickens can live 7-9 years, but usually the hatchery birds live 4-6 years because they have been breed to produce lots of eggs younger and more months of the year.

3. mracey

mracey New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    Yea, I know about the moulting, winter months, & reduction in eggs, but I'm really wondering about the pubic bones, & the general signs that a hen has possibly quit laying for good.

4. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm certainly no expert, but I'd find it hard to believe that your hens are only laying until 1-2 years old. I've rarely had a hen that didn't lay at least 4-5 seasons if healthy. Our current backyard flock has one hen who is at least 6 (maybe as much as 8 years old...my GF cant remember the exact year she hatched her) and she laid like crazy this summer after taking December - mid March off completely. I thought she might be done, but then she started ramping up again this spring and was good for 6 eggs a week. I wouldn't rush to cull them if I were you.

5. mracey

mracey New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    I agree that they normally wouldn't. But I'm wandering about the extreme heat that we encountered this summer & the fact that their pubic bones are closed, some less than 1 finger wide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by