Are they done laying for the year in PA?

nbenevento

Songster
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
From Southwestern, PA.
I just got four hens, 2 leghorn and 2 Rhode Island Reds 3 days ago. I bought them from someone local and I also got their coop and yard fence. I am told they were hatched in March. I haven't had chickens since I was a small child so everything I know about keeping chickens has been learned by reading this site and watching youtube videos. Since Saturday, I have not gotten any eggs. I just found out they didn't haven't given any eggs since Thursday. With the daylight shortened this time of year, are they done until Spring? The only reason I am disappointed by this is because I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and they want to find an egg! If they may be done laying already, can I reverse that by adding a light with a daylight bulb in their coop for a few extra hours every evening, or is too late and we just have to wait until Spring? Speaking of which, when can I expect them to start again in the Spring? Thanks for helping a newbie!

Chickens take a while to adjust to a move, and 3 days isn't very long. They may have slowed down for winter --- also for a molt, which might not be very noticeable, sort of a "partial molt." The move will have caused some stress, too.

I get fewer but some eggs all year. I added light one year but haven't bothered since. If you do decide to add light, I'd suggest adding it in the early morning rather than the end of the day, so they won't be suddenly plunged into darkness, and can arrange themselves on the roost in a natural fashion. That's a personal opinion, I admit.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Back
Top Bottom