Are they eating enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aceintoledo, Mar 30, 2012.

1. aceintoledo

aceintoledo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ohio
    I fill their troft every morning and when I close them in for the night half of the food is still there, infact, it's not even all gone by the next morning! Are they getting enough food from eating grass and bugs?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I think they are fine, if they are free ranging then they are getting a lot of thier food from grass and bugs, and besides that I think that eating a half of a troft of food per day is pretty average.

3. aceintoledo

Apr 25, 2011
    Ohio

When I say troft I should clarify that my troft is a 14x6x4 drywallers mud pan[​IMG]. I have three hens who will turn 1 in three weeks, and three chicks in the house who didn't care for the loss of heat from the lack of power for an hour courtesy of mother nature. As for the free ranging, my back yard is only 60'x40', so as much free ranging as they can do in that much space. They seem happy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Weigh out the food. A LF eats 1/4 to 1/3 lbs a day. So your three should eat .75 to one lb a day. If they find anything to eat while out or they are given other food then less than that. The mud pan probably holds more then a days worth of food. Never thought of using one of those for chickens.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  5. aceintoledo

Apr 25, 2011
    Ohio
    The mud pan was only supposed to be a temporary thing but after mounting to the inside wall of the coop it actually works really well. When my chicks are ready to join the hens outside I'll install another one on another wall.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Be glad they aren't eating more! Whatever you're doing it's working!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by