Are they eating their eggs, or maybe just not laying? =/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I took in several (approx 15) hens recently. They were supposed to be 2 years old and younger. The first few days I had them, they provided a few eggs. They were stressed for about a week, until the pen was complete and they were able to be outside. So, I understood when the eggs started to come slower. They've had their pen for about a week now, and the eggs have still been coming reeeeeeeeally slow. One a day, maybe 2, if any!

I'm wondering if they may be eating their eggs. If they were, i'd probably see some "evidence" though, right? Egg shells, or something?

Haven't seen anything......but still?

And if they are, what can I do about it, if anything? (Other than getting rid of the hen(s), which I won't do, but may have to separate once I figure out who is doing it! lol)

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I would think between the stress of moving and the heat lately your eggs will probably be down for a while. Give it about a month and see if they pick up then....
    [​IMG]

3. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Ok, that makes perfect since! Thank you for your reply. [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, it can take a while for your chickens to feel comfortable and get back into a laying routine. And you're right, you'd see some egg shells and a mess laying around if they were eating the eggs.

5. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I had been out of town for the past week (they were cared for, but I - ofcourse - wasn't here to spend as much time w/them as I like to), and that may also have been an issue. They actually have given 3 eggs so far today, so that's pretty good considering. I just wonder, if they haven't been laying (due to stress, etc) will they become eggbound? I went through this with one of them a couple weeks ago (she recovered!). But, I worry that the next one might now recover.

Thanks bunches!! [​IMG]

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have been getting 1-2 eggs per day out of 12 when it was upper 90's low 100s. Suddenly at 95 it's an 8 egg day. A few times we had seen the gals in the nest boxes *trying*, panting, and leaving again. Poor things. They free range and we have water all over for them, but all animals are suffering with this heat wave.

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Wiat a while till the heat is down. Let them get comfortable in new surroundings. Also make sure they have plenty of fresh water and good layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by