Are they EE roos? I've never seen one-new here! Help Please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my first peepers, Jul 11, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I am new to chickens and to BYC. I ordered 6 EE pullets and I know things can go wrong...what do you think of the two black and white ones? Are they roos or are they just different? I've never seen an EE roo! Their combs have three ridges, as appossed to the other's one. They are 6 weeks old. Please help!

From left to right: Dotty, Blackbird, Sunny, Daisy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2654702766/

Another view of blackbird:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2654703326/in/photostream/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They look rooish to me... but I'd like to see them close up and head on if possible. But, the best way to tell is to compare, and based on your own comparisons... I'd say roos.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Blackbird looks like a roo to me. Can't really tell with Sunny. Dotty look like a pullet and I can't see Daisy well enough to tell, but my guessed based on her color is a pullet.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. my first peepers

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks! It's too bad, they are really nice birds and our first so we are pretty attached to them. Are they bound to fight if we kept them both?

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    More likely to breed your girls too much and cause them to to loose their back feathers. You need to either add a whole bunch more girls 12 per roo is recommended) or loose one roo. Bummer. [​IMG]

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    You have two roos and two pullets. The two gray ones in the middle are roos.

7. my first peepers

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks all. As if on cue, they started squaring off today. The hard part is deciding which has to go!

8. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    With only 2 pullets it's dangerous to keep both roos, so get rid of one soon. Speaking from expeirience having too many roos is one of the worst things you can do to your flock. They can end up killing the pullets and it's a HORRIBLE sight. Make sure you watch them and make sure they arent harming the pullets.

9. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I had 3 roosters together they wont fight one will be dominant tho so he may breed all the females , the others will be lowners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by