are they fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ohsocutechicken, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ohsocutechicken

ohsocutechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    okay so here's my dilemma, my daughter got a brisnea incubator for Christmas, so after research and planning we ordered our first batch of eggs online. [​IMG]
    Above is one of the white eggs
    as of now they've in an incubator for 3 days so tonight we decided to candle them, just to have a peek.... that being said 3 of them are brown and hard to see in 2 and 3 of them are white, I can see into the white ones but all I see is a dark circle, but no veins as of yet... [​IMG] I just can't see them or am looking wrong?? I saw what looks like veins though slightly in one of the brown ones shown here but it's hard to see in the picture [​IMG]

2. ohsocutechicken

Jan 24, 2013
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Sorry I'm posting mobile so the pictures are all over , the brown eggs as well are very porous, and through reading I found mixed reviews on those so I figured we would just wait a few days... I also need to know whether or not it safe to leave the eggs in there if they are not fertile, really know if 1 goes bad...I dread a rotten egg lol

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Okay, slow down a bit lol! You won't see much at this stage, I usually wait until day 7-10 for the first candling so you actually have something to see. So wait a little longer.

Eggs won't just go super explosion rotten overnight, so relax! Just sniff your incubator regularly, a stinker, well, it stinks! When you candle, give each one a good sniff. It takes a while for the bacteria to put them into the dangerous exploding yuck stage. I have only ever had one get close to exploding, and I had skipped the second candling, so that was my fault.

Porous eggs aren't always the end, wait it out for a while. Be patient, candle in a few more days, sniff those eggs, and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. ohsocutechicken

Jan 24, 2013
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Thanks lol... I'm looking at all these charts for candling and lol since it's the first time I'm a bit weary of the eggs, I didn't order from a hatchery since we need a small amount (incubator holds 7 ) so I'm just nervous lol and hoping for the kiddos atleast 1 or 2 hatch if not more :)

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  6. ohsocutechicken

Jan 24, 2013
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    :) so I couldn't help myself and candled today... 4 of 6 are definitely growing, the other 2 are the darker brown and porous so it's hard to see :)
    But hooray :)
    Sally :) I have all those bookmarked already lol I have been researching and reading and planning since before Christmas when I was informed.an incubator would be under the tree for her... My life has been backyard chickens and reading has been raising chickens for dummies...lol over and over and over again.... I'm pretty sure I am much more excited than they are about the hatching process ... New life is always exciting.!!! Thanks :)

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY AWESOME!!!

8. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Yes what you saw first were blood islands, or the beginning of the cardiovascular system developing. It's fun to candle early, but don't TOSS any until at LEAST day 10 just in case there actually was something and you missed it.

Good luck! I just hatched a chick from a VERY porous egg, so don't discount it just because it's shell is a little "holey" lol. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by