Are they fighting or playing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daysiechicks, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    I looked for the answer in previous threads, but can't find anything. Since I'm new at this chicken stuff, I find myself entertained for sometimes hours just watching my girls. Lately, they have been running alot and chasing each other and then they do this quick "lift-off" flighty thing and then almost do a "chest bump" with each other. Are they playing or fighting?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Both--that's how they establish pecking order. I'm assuming your "girls" are still very young, like 4-8 weeks old? That's about when mine started the serious pecking order play. They will figure it out eventually, and calm down a lot--that is, unless you have roos?!

3. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Thank you! They are about 10 weeks old. All pullets, no roosters. I just wanted to make sure they weren't getting inappropriately aggressive so I'm glad to hear that it's normal behavior. Thanks very much

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. My grown hens, two in particular, still have their fusses, but no harm done. Just some ruffled feathers, pardon the pun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by