Are they fighting or playing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arcatamarcia, Aug 22, 2011.

1. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I watch my four 20 week old pullets. They fly at each other, chests out, hackles raised. Then they stand and give each other the stink eye. Then they go on pecking at the ground. Or they chase each other. Then go on pecking at the ground. I see the role of top-chick change hands. Except for poor Lizzie, my Welsummer. She never seems to move up. But mostly I think she's just more mature and above all the tussle. She's definitely going to be the first to lay. She does her own thing. It's hysterical to watch. So are they really fighting, or are they playing King of the Hill?

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

They dont call it the pecking order for nothing. Usually no one gets hurt. Someone has to be the ALPHA and someone has to be the Omega.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    are you sure they are all pullets?

I haven't seen my girls do this, only roos...and mine are 20 weeks also.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Pullets do this as well.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine are 7 weeks tomorrow and my EE looooves to do something similar....just run full speed up to one of the others (particularly the wellie or the BA), stop right in front all puffed up and then jump up and down in place. Usually, whoever she's running at will then jump also. Neither will touch the other at all or even make a peep - they just bounce in place, look ridiculous, and then go back to whatever they were doing. [​IMG]

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Ya pullets do it too...my girls would have chest thumping contests. Stare each other down and then run at each other and chest bump and squawk...then pretend it never happened.

My hens will do it occasionally, but not much. I really only see it when one of the Buffs gets delusions af grandeur and decide they want higher up the pecking order. It never lasts long...

7. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Pullets do this as well.

My pullets are 20 weeks, still not laying [​IMG], but when they free range they are running after each other, chests out, hackles raised. It's quite a show. Not all of them join in, but at least 4 out of the 8 chickens.

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    guess my girls are weird...they don't do this...and they are 22 weeks now...only my roos do...and I spend a lot of time (too much) watching them....maybe I never noticed!?

9. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I wonder if the presence of a rooster makes a difference. I don't have a rooster and my girls are doing this off and on all day.

10. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    I have one roo and my Tetra Tint Trio do this constantly, I think it's a mix of play and making sure the order is still in place. They never attack, just stare, huff and jump around (sometimes atop of eachother) and the ngo back to business. I only see it when I free range them when i am home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by