Are they going broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 28, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok. So right now I have a breeding trio of khaki campbells, and a breeding pair of rouens. One of the khakis, and the rouen have been laying in the shelter, and the other khaki lays outside. This moring the straw in the selter was pushed up into a nest and there were two eggs in it. This was the first time it was formed into a nest? Are they going broody?

2. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    That just happened to me with my khakis but my runner is sitting in the nest and now that's where they lay. Watch to see if they sit on it. Usually khakis won't be broody enough to care for a hatch all the way through though, but good luck!

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Thanks. I only want the rouen eggs to be hatched though. Im sure they are pure breds too. Is it possible that I can take the khaki eggs to eat, and let them keep the rouen eggs?

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They aren't broody... Mine have been doing that ever since they have started laying.
    There's actually pros and cons to them doing that.

Pros:
    The don't get kicked all over the coop.
    They stay cleaner so the ducks can't kick them around.

Con:
    Those buggers are good at hideing them! I have to look through all the shavings to find them!
    If I don't find their hideing spot they will eventually go broody. Almost had an "Oops" broody duck this spring when I couldn't find their stash and I thought they were just takeing a break. Wrong!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    The nesting doesn't mean broody just something they do, watch for sitting to tell if they actually are going broody [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    O pre-, I just thought maybe since they were laying their eggs in there, they might. They have never laid in there till today. And yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by