1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are they gone?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cutiepieacres, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    So I have quite a few eggs in my sportsman which I have in the garage. I guess it got really cold last night, though the sportsman has been holding steady even in the cold. It was down to 92 this morning, humidity is good. The eggs that were pipped have not gone any further since last night, I dont hear any peeping.

Do think the whole batch is gone, eggs that were about to hatch and eggs that were still incubating or do you think maybe just some?

Should I move the whole incubator inside the house? It has been doing well until now, does the outside temp need to stay much higher then out in the garage. The outside(garage) temp(according to the incubator) was below 50.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Incubators typically need to be in a stable temperature environment to function properly. Room temp is best. I couldn't say for sure if they're gone or not, but ensure the temp holds around 99.5 and hope for the best. I would give them a few extra days in case the temp just slowed them down a bit.

3. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    So I made the decsion to move it inside as the temp was not going up at all. It was a big move but I got it in ok and in less than 20 mins the temp is up to 99.5. The good news is that while moving I did hear peeping so the hatching chicks were still alive. Crossing my fingers that everyone is ok.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:That is good news!! I will cross my fingers for you too! [​IMG] Let us know how it turns out.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Good luck and have patience for them to hatch out!!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, BEST of luck with your hatch!

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Sending lucky vibes your way!! Let's us know how things turn out!

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Typically is correct.

The Sportsman, however, has a substantial heater, and is way better placed to deal with colder temps. It's heater is, I think, 250W, compared to 25W in a Hova.

It shouldn't be as low as 92F. It's quite possible that the ambient temp fell too low for even this heater to cope.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Both my GQF Sportsman and my Hovabators function better at room temperature than in a highly fluctuating environment like a cold basement/garage. I wouldn't have stated so if I didn't have my own experience to share.

I hope the cheeping chicks is a good sign and they'll hatch ok for you. Good luck and please let us know.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I get that, and nothing I said contradicted it.

I stand by my remarks, however. Incubators with decent fans, and powerful heaters are waaaaaaaay better placed to deal with colder temps.

Not asking them to simply makes their job easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by