Are they gonna eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HDTech, Feb 9, 2013.

1. HDTech

HDTech Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I need to plant grass seed in my backyard. It's in sore shape. Are my chickens going to eat all the seed???

2. HDTech

Feb 3, 2013
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Also, I got a 50 pound bag of scratch for them. How often should I be feeding them? It seems like they're always hungry...

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes unless you fence it off they will eat the seed. I am not sure how many hens you have but I would only give a handful as a treat a day. Scratch is treat food and should be given sparingly.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - the birds will eat every grass seed they can find. In terms of scratch, they love it but only serve it as a treat on occasion. They a properly balanced starter or grower or layer mash. (unsure of their age). Good luck to you!

5. HDTech

Feb 3, 2013
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Well that's weird the guy at ace hardware told me that's what he uses... What should I be feeding them? I have two Rhode Island Red chickens. They're still young. Unsure of age. They aren't laying yet.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    if the aren't laying yet you should be using a starter/grower food. When they are laying you change over to a laying feed either pellets or mash.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. HDTech

Feb 3, 2013
    Tallahassee, Florida
    That guy told me that the starter/grower stuff was too big for them!!! I'm starting to think he didn't know what he was talking about.

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes he sure doesn't. Sometimes they will tell you anything for a sale.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. HDTech

Feb 3, 2013
    Tallahassee, Florida
    He said he had chickens and that is what he fed them. Wth...

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I don't know perhaps he does. but it is not recommended and certainly not a good thing to be feeding your chickens all the time. Sorry but that is the only advice can give you. If you wanna keep feeding it to your hens all the time that is your choice but I and you will find most others that have had chickens for many years would not recommend it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by