1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are they gonna hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I have about 15 chicken eggs on lockdown on friday.. Lastnight I candled for the last time and almost all are BLACK, I cant see anything, only a few I can see the little empty space at the end of the egg, and a few are just plain empty.. What does it all mean? (first hatch)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Black is good. [​IMG] There's a chick in there. My first hatch too, and mine are also black except where the air sac is. If I look real hard, I could see them move by the pointy end.

Mine are due to hatch Friday too! [​IMG] for both of us!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You should be able to see the chicks pushing against the membrane between them and the air sac as well. That's pretty neat [​IMG]

4. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Now that you mention it I did see something tiny moving on that end!!! but it was so fast and small kinda like seeing a hair move I thought I was seeing things!

5. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Also.. I have some hatching on different dates and Im using a egg turner.. Is it ok to just pop out one of the turner holders and lay the eggs down in there for the lockdown?? or will it mess up the turner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by